No products in the basket.

Acoustic Testing



If you’re looking for acoustic testing services for your new build property, we can help. With specialist engineers providing advice on-site, we can provide acoustic testing for new builds across the UK. Our support helps ensure that you are compliant with acoustic testing building regulations.

Read on to see how we can help you pass regulations with ease with our acoustic testing services.


Acoustic testing involves the testing of walls and floors to comply with Part E Building regulations, “Resistance to the passage of sound”. It is important to comply with this regulation, as not doing so could be costly in the long run. Unlike Air Tightness Testing (which applies to all new build houses), acoustic testing applies only to new build properties who share walls and floors (semi-detached houses or flats, for example).

Acoustic testing checks for the travel of sound through new and existing buildings. This may affect party walls and floors between new and existing buildings or spaces within a new development. Acoustic testing can be a worry for developers of new builds, but with our expert’s help you’ll have everything you need to pass regulations. Click here to download the acoustic checklist. 

Acoustic Testing process for new builds

To comply with Part E Regulations, you must undertake acoustic testing. This involves testing partition walls and floors. Each of these separating elements has its own testing requirements. Walls need one airborne test floors need both airborne and impact testing.

Airborne tests

The Airborne test is carried out using a loudspeaker for a steady source of sound on one side of the wall or floor. This is then measured by our expert engineers and readings are taken from the other side of the wall to measure the passage of sound. This reading also shows the resistance from the noise a partition has provided.

Impact Tests

A tapping machine is placed on the floor, and the engineer then records the readings from the room below. This test takes into account the impact of vibration and measures how much resistance the floor provided from this.

Who requires acoustic testing?

If your project fits any of the following criteria, it will need acoustic testing:

  • Building a block or blocks of flats
  • Building terraced or semi-detached houses
  • Converting a former single dwelling into flats
  • Building a hotel, hostel or house of multiple occupancy

One exception to this rule is if your wall or floor is approved by Robust Details and certified as a Robust Detail (RD).

Number of Acoustic Tests needed for new builds

As a minimum, your new build will need one set of tests for every 10 dwellings. This number can change if building control sets out other specific requirements.

A full set of tests includes 2 floor tests and 2 wall tests. When you are undertaking acoustic testing for new builds, you should discuss any requirements with your regulator. This ensures that you are able to demonstrate compliance with all elements building control asks for.

Expert advice on acoustic testing for new builds

At Airtight testing Staffordshire, we understand that complying with regulations can be difficult for developers. So, we are here to help you move easily through the process. Our experienced test engineers can offer expert advice to help you achieve compliance in the most effective way.

We can also offer a wide range of services to pass building regulations easier than ever before!