No products in the basket.


If you’re stuck or can’t find something on our website, don’t worry.

Here are some frequently asked questions that we’ve answered.

Air Tightness Testing

When do I need to arrange my air test?

We aim to schedule your test as soon as possible, often this can be within 1 week of contacting us. However, this may be dependent on the size of your project, location and even the time of year.

Is my build ready for an air test?

A test should be completed once the external envelope is completed, sockets are fitted, and loft hatches are sealed. We advise testing just before any carpets or kitchen cabinets are fitted as this makes any remedial work easier.

What if I fail my air tightness test?

If you do not achieve your result on the day. Further remedial work will be advised and a re-test will be offered for 50% of your original test price once the work has been completed.

Do I need to seal anything prior to the test?

We can complete sealing ourselves, however, we advise clients to complete or partially complete temporarily sealing beforehand to allow us more time to diagnose any problems and get you passed on the day! Extractor fans, trickle vents and open flue fires can all be sealed.

How long does an Air Tightness test take?

We typically spend up to 2 hours per test, the first hour allows for set up and an initial test. The second hours accounts for diagnosis of air leakage and running free on-site re-tests if the remedial work can be carried out in that time.

What is a pre-diagnosis test?

We offer a test before competition of the build, this allows for an early diagnosis and remedy of problems that are often near impossible to fix during the final test. Electricity must be available on site (excluding generators) and a temporary external envelope may need to be created dependent on the stage of your project.

Can I stay in the building during an Air Tightness test?

It is possible to stay in the dwelling during the test, it should be noted the front entrance will blocked off for the duration of the test so you may be required to stay in for the full period of time the test takes if there is not a secondary exit.

Do you only test new builds?

Only new builds or large extensions need testing for building regulations. However, it is not uncommon for enquiries on existing builds where we can use the equipment to diagnose drafts for potential remedial work.

What is my target score?

Your Air tightness target score is set by your SAP assessor, this is a value between 0-10 (m3/( The higher the target score, the easier it is to achieve.

Can my house be too airtight?

In the rare occasion It is possible to make your house too airtight, however, if the correct ventilation system is selected this ensures a steady flow of fresh air in the areas where it is needed the most such as bathrooms and kitchens.

SAP assessments

When should SAP’s be undertaken?

SAP calculations should ideally be undertaken at the design stage. Sometimes changes in the original design of a building are needed to achieve a ‘pass’ and it is more cost effective and easier to make any alterations at this stage.

How long does it take?

Once all the information is received, we can usually get your calculations to you within 72 hours

What do you require from me?

A set of scale plans with a completed SAP information checklist.

We just need an EPC, why do we need a SAP too?

The design stage of the SAP’s is needed to produce an EPC in a new-build. As the information in the SAP’s is what produces the EPC. This should not be compared to an EPC in a existing build which follows a different procedure.

How do I get my EPC?

Once the design stage and as built stage of the SAP Assessment have been completed we can issue of the Energy Performance Certificate

I have completed my build, why do I need design stage SAP’s?

The design stage of the SAP’s is part of the process to completing the as built stage and EPC. Without the work in this first process the EPC cannot be issued.

Why do I need SAP’s for my extension

Part L1b of the Building regulations requires that areas of new glazing should not account for more than 25% of the new floor area. When this is the case, SAP’s are often needed to prove the energy efficiency of the build.

Acoustic testing

Can other trades be on site whilst testing?

With the measurements of the test being so sensitive, it is advised to avoid any other work at the same time as this negatively affect your results. It is advised to suspended work for the duration of the testing which is approximately 2 hours

When is my building ready?

The external envelope should be completed with walls finished, sockets fitted and all doors and windows functional. Carpets and laminates should not be fitted as impact testing should take place on a bare floor.

Do I need sound testing?

Site testing is required under Part E for residential developments (new and change of use). It is required for residential separating (party) walls and floors, but not for internal walls and floors.

How long does the test take?

For a full set of tests, it usually takes up to 2 hours to complete.

Water calculations

When should I get my calculations done?

Calculations should be completed once you know what products you desire but before they are fitted.

What is my limit of water usage?

Often, ‘water consumption shall be no greater than 125 litres/person/day’ is used. However, this sometimes varies depending on building control and this should be checked before the completion of the calculations.

What information is required?

  • Toilets
  • Baths
  • Washing machines
  • Rainwater recycling
  • Grey water recycling
  • Taps
  • Showers
  • Dishwashers
  • Water softener
  • Waste water disposal

How can water consumption be reduced?

The most common ways for this are: reduced flow taps, showers and solutions where rainwater is harvested and reused.

Ventilation testing

What is ventilation testing?

Ventilation Testing refers to extractor fans that are found in toilets and kitchens. These are tested to see how much air they extract over a given time.

Do all my plots need testing?

Part F of building regulations states all plots should be tested, however, this is not always enforced by building control.

At what stage do I need ventilation testing?

Ventilation testing should be undertaken at the end of the build. Once your extractors are in, working and connected to duct runs. We will also need all windows and doors to be fitted and fully operational.

How do I pass?

Research should be taken on which fans/units give the best performance. It is essential keep duct runs as short as possible, with as few twists and turns as possible.